Red River Co-op began operations on September 15,1937. It was modeled after the British Rochdale Co-op, established in 1844 when a group of weavers pooled their resources to open their own store in order to share the profits. The Rochdale Co-op was so successful, their founding principles are used as guidelines for operating consumer co-operatives around the world.
- New gas bar in Dryden, Ontario opened in March, with 6 pumps,12 fueling stations and a 2,000 square foot convenience store, located on 640 Government avenue.
- Red River Co-op acquired 4 Safeway grocery stores and 1 gas bar in Winnipeg as part of an agreement between Federated Co-operatives Ltd. and Sobeys Inc. The grocery stores and gas bar are scheduled to open in May.
- Co-op grocery stores on 1441 Main Street, 77 Vermillion Road, 850 Dakota Street, and 1120 Grant Avenue opened in May.
- $54.9 million paid to members
- Members earned 11.68% on all petroleum purchased in 2013
- Celebrated 75 years as a co-operative within the Co-operative Retail System, held BBQ's at selected gas bar sites and drawn for a 2013 Chevy Equinox to one lucky Member
- 4 addional pumps to McPhillips street location
- Interior upgrades at West Portage and St. Mary's avenue locations
- $49.7 million paid to members
- Members earned 10.87% on all petroleum purchased in 2012
- Exterior upgrade at our West Portage location
- Fuel dispensers at 14 locations and upgrading the existing dispensers at 12 others to be EMV Chip and Pin compliant
- Addition of regular gas pumps and dye injector pump and underground storage for card lock and gas bars. Old Bulk petroleum facility removed and site decommissioned
- Replacement of tandem delivery unit in Teulon with a tri drive and board dye injector
- 38.8 million in cash paid to members
- Members earned 10.78% on all petroleum purchased in 2011
- Acquired 5 corporate gas bars from Federated Co-operative Ltd
- A bulk oil truck was add to the fleet
- An interior upgrade was completed at the Teulon gas bar
- Membership exceeds 220,000
- 29.0 million in cash paid to members
- Members earned 7.94% on all petroleum purchased in 2010
- 3425 Roblin Blvd opened with 20 pump, 10 lane gas bar with a 3100 square foot convenience store, and a high speed touchless tunnel vehicle wash. This facility replaces the small and outdated facility immediately West on Roblin.
- The Cardlock at 1960 Notre Dame is closed
- 27.8 million in cash paid to members
- Members earned an average of 7.50 cents per litre purchased
- 200,000th membership sold
- Gross sales exceed 360 million dollars
- A new cardlock opened at Don Valley Parkway close to the perimeter in the R M of Springfield.
- Regent and Owen location opens with a 16 pump, 8 lane gas bar, with a 2042 square foot convenience store, and a high speed touchless tunnel vehicle wash.
- 35.4 million in cash paid to members
- Members earned an average of 12.50 cents per litre purchased
- The Stonewall location is rebuilt with a 2,500 square foot convenience store, 16 pump, 8 lane gas bar, single bay touchless car wash and a single stall, three season exterior wand wash.
- The St. Norbert location was replaced one block North on Pembina @ Grandmont, with a 20 pump 10 lane Gas Bar, 3100 square foot convenience store, and a touchless tunnel car wash.
- 28.8 million dollars in cash paid to members
- Members earned an average of 12.50 cents per litre purchased
- The opening of our Oakbank location with a 2042 square foot convenience store, 4 pump 8 lane gas bar. This project is part of the same development that features a 20,000 square foot Marketplace Grocery store owned by Beausejour Coop and a 5000 square foot Home Centre owned by Pembina Valley Co-op.
- $16.2 million in cash paid to members
- Members earned an average of 7.75 cents per litre purchased*
- 2535 Main opens with 12 pumps, 12 lanes, 3100 square foot Convenience Store, and our first Tunnel touchless carwash.
- $10.4 million in cash paid to members
- Members earned an average of 7.25 cents per litre purchased*
- 650 Archibald opens with 8 pumps, 8 lanes, 1785 square foot Convenience Store, and twin touchless carwash
- $8 million in cash paid to members
- 100,000 Memberships sold
- 345 Osborne opens with a large convenience store and twin touchless carwash
- 747 Pembina is completely upgraded with a large convenience store and ten pumps. This is our largest site do date.
- 6.5 million in cash paid to members
- 1850 Brookside Blvd. opens with a large convenience store and cardlock
- New convenience store and twin touchless car wash under construction at 1617 St. Mary's Road
- New touchless car wash added to 190 St. Anne's road location
- 5.6 million in cash paid to members
- 100-5540 Portage Ave in Headingley opens as 24-hour convenience store and cardlock
- New Large Convenience store and touchless car wash opened at 2615 McPhillips
- 1745 Kensaton Boulevard opens with a twin bay touchless car wash, large convenience store and is the first Red River station to offer pay-at-the-pump
- 275 Main Street in Selkirk opens with a touchless car wash, large convenience store and pay-at-the-pump service
- Major upgrade of the Teulon bulk plant and gas bar with the addition of a cardlock
- $4.4 million in cash paid to members
- Membership exceeds 70,000
- New location in Gimli with "Mac's" convenience store
- Gas bar on Henderson and Strood opens with a touchless car wash and convenience store
- First year for Board elections by mail or drop-off balloting
- Gas bars open at Grant and Lindsay and in Ste Agathe
- Record turnout at Annual Meeting in February of over 1300
- Opened a new gas bar at Portage and Stewart with a large convenience store and car wash
- St. Anne's Road gas bar opens; Gross sales exceed $55 million; Membership rebounds to 31,000
- Facilities at 1600 Regent and 1070 Henderson are upgraded and the Niverville gas bar opens
- Gas bar at 3623 Roblin Boulevard opens and the St. Norbert gas bar is upgraded
- Red River Cooperative helps to sponsor Jimmy Carter's Habitat for Humanity project in Winnipeg
- First cash payment to members in 17 years, and the 1355 Regent Avenue gas bar closes
- Gas bar at 1925 Portage Avenue opens
- Gas bar opens at 1008 Keewatin Street
- First allocation to savings since 1980
- Gas bars open at 747 Pembina Highway and 1355 Regent
- Bulk facilities at Teulon moved and upgraded; gas bar opened.
- Equity returns to a break-even position
- Logan Avenue gas bar is opened. It is the first new facility since the Home Centre in 1979
- Equity is in a negative position and Red River restructures for survival
- All properties are sold except for gas bars and bulk fuel sales
- New management team assembled to assist Board in recovery
- Focus returns to operating as a petroleum co-operative
- Districts done away with and a seven-member board established
- Home Centre opens at McPhillips and Stardust.
- Self-serve gas bar opens at 1600 Regent Avenue and Tempo comes to Winnipeg
- Pembina at Garwood property is sold to the Province (future site of Autopac facility). The fuel department is moved to White Avenue.
- In St. Norbert, a new service station is established and the store is enlarged. The delegate system and district representation to the Board begins. Many of the properties previously leased are purchased: other properties for expansion and new development are also acquired.
- Amalgamation with Co-ops at St. Norbert, Ste. Agathe and Starwood Co-operative in Stonewall.
- Red River Co-op Parliament begins based on 18 districts.
- Shopping centre, including a service station, opens on Henderson Highway.
- Shopping centre and service station at Ellice and Wall opens.
- Heating fuel operation begins and the Main Street store closes. Amalgamations with Co-ops at Selkirk, Rosser and Oakbank.
- The first general store is opened at 1414 Main Street.
- New store and warehouse opened at Pembina location. Commodities such as hardware, some building supplies and cattle feed were are added to the inventory.
- Moved to larger premises at Pembina and Garwood. Tires, grease and oil, batteries, and paint were added to products for sale.
- Incorporation and the fuel business began at 57 Myrtle Street.